The Writer’s Guild Initiative Programs are dedicated to bringing professional film and television writers together with communities of people who would be helped by having the tools to tell their stories.
Our writing programs give professional film and television writers the opportunity to bring the tools of storytelling to underserved communities.
The Collyer Fellowship – The Collyer Fellowship awards a yearly scholarship to a young writer, who receives a stipend and a year’s mentorship with a professional writer.
The WGI has partnered with the following organizations:
- The Wounded Warriors – Our programs with the Wounded Warriors work with Veterans and their Caregivers.
- The Profile Theater – Our work with the Profile Theater brings the tools of storytelling to the chronically ill.
- United We Dream – With United We Dream, we bring writers together with undocumented youth.
- Witness to Innocence – The Witness to Innocence project helps people who have been released from Death Row to tell their stories.
- The Pendleton Correctional Facility – We have worked with the Pendleton Correctional Facility to bring the tools of writing to inmates.
- Hurricane Sandy – Our Hurricane Sandy project worked with those whose lives were upended by this natural disaster.