The Writer’s Guild Initiative Programs are dedicated to bringing professional film and television writers together with vulnerable communities who would benefit from self-expression through writing.
Currently, our two active programs are The Michael Collyer Memorial Fellowship in Screenwriting and The Helen Deutsch Writing Workshops.
The Michael Collyer Memorial Fellowship – The Collyer Fellowship awards a yearly scholarship to a graduating college Senior interested in pursuing a screenwriting career. The winner receives a stipend and a year’s mentorship with a professional writer.
The Helen Deutsch Writing Workshops – are the signature program of the Writers Guild Initiative. These workshops share the tools of storytelling with a range of invisible communities and groups that are not often heard in the public discourse.
Helen Deutsch Writing Workshops Partner Organizations
- Wounded Warrior Project – Our programs with WWP work with Veterans and their Caregivers.
- United We Dream – With United We Dream, we bring writers together with immigrant youth.
- No Vet Alone – Our work with No Vet Alone brings our micro workshop model to Veterans in combination with physical activities such as mountain biking.
- Profile Theater – Our work with Profile Theater brings the tools of storytelling to various populations in Portland, Oregon with their Community Profile program.
- Witness to Innocence – Our work with Witness to Innocence helps death row exonerees to tell their stories.
- The Moth – We expanded our work with the Veteran community in partnership with storytelling organization The Moth.
- Pendleton Correctional Facility – We have worked with Pendleton Correctional Facility to bring the tools of writing to those currently incarcerated.
- Muslim Writers Collective – We worked with young Muslim-American writers to amplify their voices.
- Manhattan Vet Center – Our work with MVC focused on the local NYC Veteran community.
- Hurricane Sandy – Our Hurricane Sandy project worked with those whose lives were upended by this natural disaster.
Past WGI programs: